Battle of Britain
Adolf “Sailor” Malan’s ten rules rules for fighter pilots:
1. Wait until you see the whites of his eyes. Fire short bursts of one to two seconds only when your sights are definitely “ON”
2. Whilst shooting think of nothing else, brace the whole of your body: have both hands on the stick: concentrate on your ring sight.
3. Always keep a sharp lookout. “Keep your finger out”.
4. Height gives you the initiative.
5. Always turn and face the attack.
6. Make your decisions promptly. It is better to act quickly even though your tactics are not the best.
7. Never fly straight and level for more than 30 seconds in the combat area.
8. When diving to attack always leave a proportion of your formation above to act as a top guard.
9. Initiative, aggression, air discipline, and teamwork are words that mean something in Air Fighting.
10. Go in quickly – Punch hard - Get out!
(art by Vladimir Urbanek)
Worthwhile Cause of the Day: In the wee hours of August 31st, Redditor mrsammercer sat down at his computer and regaled the net with his middle-of-the-night, Wayne’s World 2-style epiphany: To hold a satirical DC rally — an absurd countervail to Glenn Beck’s “Restoring Honor” event — to be spearheaded by Stephen Colbert:
Think about it. It’ll be just like Colbert’s mockery of GW Bush at the 2006 White House Correspondent’s Dinner, but 500,000 people will be able to participate with him. We’ll all stay totally in character as teabaggers. The kid with the microphone that interviews all the idiots at these things can come by and we’ll ramble into his microphone.
This would be the high water mark of American satire. Half a million people pretending to suspend all rational thought in unison. Perfect harmony. It’ll feel like San Francisco in the late 60s, only we won’t be able to get any acid.
Meanwhile, the movement has been steadily gaining ground. A website has been set up to help rally support for the “Restoring Truthiness” cause. The Comedy Central Insider blog even mentioned it, albiet matter-of-factly.
Will this vision come to pass? It is too early to tell. In the meantime, mrsammercer’s plea continues to echo through the cyberhalls: “I know you’re out there somewhere, Stephen, watching LOLcat gifs along side us. We need you.”